Take the Utah Community Needs Assessment now!

If you are an adult over the age of 60, an adult with a disability, or a caregiver for a vulnerable adult, click the button below to take the Utah Community Needs Assessment.

If you are a service provider that provides services to older adults or people with disabilities, click the button below to take the Utah Community Needs Assessment.

Frequently asked questions

What is the Utah Community Needs Assessment?

The Utah Community Needs Assessment seeks to understand community awareness about available services and the need for additional resources that vulnerable adults facing abuse, neglect, or exploitation may need in Utah. This survey asks questions that include basic demographics, identifying service gaps and barriers, and general knowledge of Adult Protective Services.

What is a vulnerable adult?

A vulnerable adult refers to an adult 65 years or older, or an adult who has mental or physical impairment that substantially affects the person’s ability to: provide personal protection, provide necessities such as food and shelter, obtain services necessary for health, safety, or welfare, carry out activities of daily living, manage own finances, and/or comprehend the nature of abuse, neglect, or exploitation.

What is vulnerable adult abuse?

Vulnerable adult abuse is an act by any person that causes harm or a serious risk of harm to a vulnerable adult. The Elder Justice Initiative of the U.S. Department of Justice reports at least 10% of adults 65 and older experience some form of elder abuse each year.

How can I help?

We are looking for older adults, caregivers, and adults with disabilities to take the Utah Community Needs Assessment. We are also looking for professionals that work with older adults or adults with disabilities to take the Provider Survey. You can help by spreading the word about these important needs assessment and providing your feedback. The assessment can be accessed through the survey buttons above these FAQs.

I have been contacted to participate in this survey. What can I expect?

The Utah Community Needs Assessment is an online survey that asks questions about what services are available or not available in your community to assist you with living a safe and healthy life. By completing this assessment, you will help us understand your needs and knowledge of the services and resources available in your community.

How will the information be used?

Your answers will be used by the Division of Aging and Adult Services to help develop strategies to improve outcomes for victims of abuse, neglect, and exploitation, along with identifying community needs to help improve service delivery. Results will be used for research presentations and publications.

Who is conducting this survey?

The Utah Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Aging and Adult Services, and their consultants at Market Decisions Research are conducting these needs assessments. They are dedicated to ensuring all Utahns have fair and equitable opportunities to live safe and healthy lives.

How will my information be protected?

Answers provided are strictly confidential, any personal identifying information will not be shared.

Who is Market Decisions Research? And why are they involved?

Market Decisions Research, also known as MDR, is an independent public health research company located in Portland, Maine, helping the Utah Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Aging and Adult Services, administer this needs assessment. 

How was this research funded?

This needs assessment is made available through funding, in part, by grant number 90EJSG0042 from the US Administration for Community Living, Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, D.C. 20201. The contents are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily represent the official views of, nor an endorsement, by ACL/HHS, or the U.S. Government.

Who do I contact to report abuse, neglect, or exploitation of a vulnerable adult?

If you need to report an incident of abuse, exploitation, or neglect please visit the Adult Protective Services (APS) online reporting form at https://daas.utah.gov/adult-protectiveservices/ or call the APS hotline at 1-800-371-7897, operating hours are Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Whom do I contact if I have additional questions?

If you have any additional questions, concerns, or comments, please contact the project manager, Elisa Ungaro, at eungaro@marketdecisions.com or (800) 293-1538 ext. 1610.